Our BTD line of stainless steel precision chucks was conceived when there was a need for workholding in the wire EDM environment while spinning and burning. The only other option available at the time was a collet setup. The BTDR essentially replaced the range of 5C collets.
Benefits of the BTD line over other ways of doing things
- While spinning with a v-block.
- The off center creates a significant turbulence in the tank.
- while surface grinding not have an off center mass reduces vibration
Repeats within .0001” as part dimeters vary
- 5C collets do not have good repeatability.
- If part size is not a nominal value results in even more error
- When part size changes requires a collet change
- V-blocks are very difficult to get on .0001” center.
- Every new part size is a new setup
Work Support to face of fixture
- Short pieces in a v-block have no support
Relief for headed work
- Collets do not provide this feature
BTDM Same as above but can hold down to .008” diameter
- Collets in general do not go above 1.5”
- Lathe chucks while being able to handle the diameter do not have the accuracy and are not available in stainless steel